Thursday, March 10, 2011

Journal Entry 9

A Picture Book of Anne Frank
By: David A. Adler
Illustrated By: Karen Ritz

I knew I wanted to include a biography in my journal from the first day we were given this assignment and I noticed it as a category on the syllabus. The first book that instantly crossed my mind to include was "Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl". I purchased and read Anne Frank's published diary last Spring as part of my yearly Summer To-Read List. Each Summer I spend my vacation reading the list of books I generate throughout the year but just cannot find time to read during the semester. Anne Frank made the list last year because perhaps strangely, The Holocaust fascinates me. I love learning about it, reading about it, and watching movies about it. I think there's just something so disturbing about the whole unfortunate event that I am drawn to it. I try and try to understand it, but I just can't. However, after considering writing about Anne Frank's diary, I quickly realized it is far too advanced to include in my journal as a children's book. So, when I found this version of Anne Frank's story aimed specifically for a juvenile audience, I knew immediately I found the biography I wanted to journal about.

Anne Frank is without a doubt on top of my list of inspirational people. At only 15 years old she was more brave, tremendous, and sophisticated than I'll ever be. If you are familiar with her story, you will probably agree when I say that at only 13 years old, she was wise beyond her years. I am glad that Adler decided that Anne Frank's story was worth telling to a young audience. As a sort of "controversial" topic, I am glad that Adler presented the information in an age appropriate manner for children. For some reason, I am drawn to these types of books - books with deep messages that aren't all "sunshine and lollipops". Sure those books are great, but I also believe that if we shelter children from every bit of potential "harm" out there, we risk history repeating itself. The Holocaust was unfortunately real, and if an author writes a book for young readers in an appropriate, respectful, and accurate manner, then I think its message should be shared (given some discretion of course).  

This version of Anne Frank's story is written wonderfully for a younger audience, focusing on the necessary facts and using language that most children would be able to understand if being read to. The illustrations are breathtaking and deep, and I could honestly spend hours studying them. Ritz has done an amazing job at capturing the emotions in her watercolour images and embedded black and white "photograph" sketches. One heartbreaking image near the end of the book is one of Anne and her sister with their shaved heads wearing facial expressions of lost hope and defeat. The images are what contributes to an even more powerful story. The story of this one brave girl representing millions is simply amazing and it makes me appreciate the life I have been blessed with thus far. I'll never fully understand the Holocaust or how human beings could possibly be so cruel to one another no matter how much I study or read about it, but all I ask is that we learn from our mistakes and never repeat them. This book presents like a window as we take a look into a past, learn about a girl who was real, and make the story as personal as we can. It is hard to envision 6 million people being killed, however, when you get to know them as real people, with real families and possessions, it makes it real. I like how the author put it:

"Some people find it difficult to understand the enormous tragedy of the Holocaust, the organized murder of millions of people. But when they read Anne's diary, it all becomes real. Then they know one of the victims. They know Anne Frank" (unnumbered)

There are some people who hear the word "biography" and instantly think "boring". That couldn't be further from the truth and I think that this book proves it. Non-fiction has the ability to be some of the most powerful writing there is. I have seen many children during my observation days reading books that I personally would never have guessed they'd like - mainly informational books. I think the lesson to be learned is that as future educators we should remember to keep a variety of books in our classroom for students because not everyone will prefer reading fictional story books. Many children like books like these - those embedded with fascinating true facts about the world in which they live.

No comments:

Post a Comment