Monday, March 7, 2011

Journal Entry 8

Harvey: How I Became Invisible
By: Hervé Bouchard
Illustrations: Janice Nadeau


After looking through the CMC for examples of graphic novels (my genre presentation topic), I found Harvey in the shelves and thought it looked interesting. I checked it out and brought it home, but little did I know, it would become my new favorite children's book. I ordered my own copy after reading it because it was just one of those books that I experienced such a powerful connection with. This journal entry will probably take on a different approach than the others, it is because I responded so differently to it.

A guiding question on the list handed out in class asked how the book compared with our own life and if it was like a mirror or a window in any way. I have said yes in other entries, but nothing is quite as true as saying this book was like looking into a mirror of my past. Regrettably, I know exactly how it feels to see a house full of strangers giving you looks of empathy without really understanding why. The words have been said but you just have no idea the impact of them yet. I was ten years old when my dad suddenly passed away. My little brother was seven. I understand how it feels to have to explain death to a younger sibling without really even understanding it yourself. I took on the role of "big sister" and stepped into the role of "mom" when mom couldn't quite do it herself, just as Harvey had to do as well. I know what it's like to feel invisible as everyone around is watching, but nobody knows quite what to say. Looking back, it is sort of like an "out of body" experience. When I think back, I see myself on the outside looking in, I guess it is the coping mechanism within us. I know how it feels to want to see your mom happy again but having no idea how to help. And I also know the feeling of realizing what it is all about when it comes time to say the final goodbyes.

No child should have to go through these experiences at such a young age, but the reality is that many children do. I'm sure some will argue that this book is a "controversial" book that young readers shouldn't experience. However, I know what it is like to attend school and have everyone act differently towards you. All you want is for everyone to act the way they used to and to feel as if you're not the only person in the world going through a tough time. The point I'm trying to make is that I would have liked to read Harvey when I was in elementary and to realize "wow, I'm not the only child in the world who has lost a parent".

I loved every part of this book. It is presented from the older siblings point of view and I have never related to a book more. The illustrations are completely incredible. I love the mood the dark hues present and I love the way the pictures look as if a child drew them him/herself. I love how the text is crooked in places, looks handwritten and smudged, and has "eraser marks". It presents like a diary which makes the story seem quite personal, almost like I wrote it myself, as if these are pages torn from my own diary. 

The book made me feel mixed emotions, but they were mainly happy. I felt glad knowing that someone else realizes what this experience feels like. I liked that the controversial issue of death didn't scare yet another author away. I liked that someone out there felt it important to write these topics in a manner appropriate for children. I felt sad thinking back to my own experiences but there's never a day (nor would I want there to be a day) when I don't think about and remember my dad anyway. He was an amazing person, an amazing dad, and I miss him every single day. And if Harvey helps keep his memory alive, even if it is just to me, then I love Harvey.



Time, sometimes the time just slips away
And you're left with yesterday
Left with the memories
I, I'll always think of you and smile
And be happy for the time
I had you with me
                                                           - Please Remember, Leann Rimes


No comments:

Post a Comment