Thursday, March 17, 2011

Journal Entry 10

Close to You: How Animals Bond
By: Kimiko Kajikawa


Since my last two entries have been about some pretty deep topics, I have decided to lighten the mood for my last entry! I found Close to You: How Animals Bond in the CMC today and thought it would be a lovely book to help conclude my journal!

This informational book is all about love. The book explains all the different ways animals show love towards each other, but I personally connected with it because there are multiple ways that the special people in my life make me feel loved too!

Here is a poem I wrote in response:

Sometimes a hug is just what I need
Sometimes feel like a kiss on the cheek
Sometimes a snuggle is my biggest wish
Sometimes a cuddle is next on my list


Sometimes I feel like I'm stuck in my tracks
And a hug from my love helps me calm and relax
Sometimes I just need to curl up and nap
With my head resting on a trustworthy lap


Sometimes the days are long and tough
Sometimes the weather is bound to get rough
But every time I'm feeling down and upset
A hug full of love sure is the best bet! 
                                    --- A. Paul





What initially attracted me to this book were the visual elements. Each two page spread has a think, bright border each a different color. The left hand side has the text in a large, attractive, and fun print while the right hand page has a real photograph. Because I have mainly journaled fictional stories, most of them have had illustrations painted or drawn through a media (normally watercolor). It is different to see real photographs in a young children's book, but they are very pleasing. Each photo is of an animal and its young showing love to one another and I know any animal lover out there would absolutely love them. They are unbelievably cute photographs and it is interesting to see animals showing love in many of the same ways that humans do! (Example: kissing and hugging.) Most children will relate to the book because they will have guardians or special people in their life that show love to them in similar ways. In addition, any child who is obsessed with animals will love viewing the photographs, particularly those photos of animals not native to their land (Example: the alligator carrying their babies in their mouth for protection). I found some photos rather interesting and learned a lot myself!

The second reason I really like this informational book is because of the text itself. It is written as a rhyming poem which I have learned most children seem to love! Example: "Polar Bears cuddle in a den of snow. Ducklings line up in a single row. Kangaroos nestle and go for a ride. Elephants walk closely side by side." I also like that at the end of the book there is an additional section with  more information on each animal, charts with stastistics, and additional website resources where readers who are interested in learning more about the animals can visit.

Reading this book made me feel happy and fuzzy inside. There is something about the innocence of baby animals that just pull on the heart strings. It also makes you view the world differently when you see animals showing many of the same emotions that humans display as well. Who knew that animals hugged, kissed, cuddled and rubbed noses like we do? It really puts the animal kingdom into perspective! It made me realize that animals are smarter than we give them credit for and we are similar in many ways. Despite being written for very young readers, I would recommend this informational book to any animal lover at any age!

No comments:

Post a Comment