Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Journal Entry 3

Leon the Chameleon
By Mélanie Watt



Leon the Chameleon is an amazing picture book about a chameleon who is different from the others. He turns the opposite color of whatever he is near, making him feel sad, embarrassed and lonely.

When I first read Leon the Chameleon, I felt an immediate connection to Leon. Growing up, I moved around and switched schools a lot. As a painfully shy kid, I found it extremely difficult to make friends. I was labelled the "new kid" year after year, and you would think changing schools would get easier after a while -but it did not. Because I was often considered an outsider and never liked to put myself out there, I always felt like I never belonged and was often very lonely and without true friends.

I know that Leon's journey of self-discovery would most definitely relate to others as well (both children AND adults). Leon is significantly the only named character in the story (emphasizing his importance), and through him, we go on a roller-coaster ride of emotions as the plot develops. The tone of the story starts out quite sad and melancholy as Leon feels embarrassed because he stands out. "He didn't join the other chameleons because he felt that he didn't fit in". I personally feel for Leon because it brings back similar unpleasant feelings of my childhood when I wanted so desperately to be "like everyone else". I  never tried to make friends when I moved from place to place because I had a fear of not being accepted. As the plot proceeds, conflict arises when Leon follows a group of little chameleons who wander off and get lost. At the climax of the book, Leon's bright, contrasting color allow the adult chameleons to find them, ironically proving to him that the trait that made him feel inferior was the very thing that saved them!  It is here that the tone of the story changes to one of happiness and joy as all conflict is resolved. Leon begins to love and appreciate who he is and for once feels proud to possess his unique trait! I wish I would have understood when I was young that the uniqueness in each human being is what makes us wonderful and special.

This book reminded me of my absolute favorite song from my childhood. It is called "You Are Special" and it came from Barney. I was obsessed with Barney as a child and I would walk around my house all day long singing the song. It's kind of embarrassing but I STILL remember all the lyrics and will sing it every few months when I hear it while babysitting my little cousins. I still love it! Here are the lyrics, although many of us probably already know them!

You are special, you're the only one
you're the only one like you
There isn't another in the whole wide world
Who can do the things you do

Oh you are special, special
Everyone is special
Everyone in his or her own way

Oh you are special, special
Everyone is special
Everyone in his or her own way

You're important, oh you really are
You're the only one of you
The world is better just because you're here
You should know that we love you

Oh you are special, special
Everyone is special
Everyone in his or her own way

Oh you are special, special
Everyone is special
Everyone in his or her own way
Everyone in his or her own way


 

Mélanie Watt has written an insightful book with a message whose meaning goes much deeper than a chameleon who cannot change the right color. It presents like a window, making me "see through" and contemplate the world in which we live and the values we uphold. When I hear of the people who hurt themselves (whether young or old) because they feel like they do not belong, it breaks my heart. Everyone has the right to be made to feel special and should learn to love themselves no matter how they are different from others. Society does not always embrace uniqueness but it is something to be praised, definitely not looked down upon.

Mélanie Watt (a Canadian!) is also the illustrator of the book. She created the illustrations in Leon the Chameleon using acrylic and black ink, and I personally love them! The expressions portrayed on Leon's face throughout the book provide for empathetic reactions from the audience. Watt created the pictures using a few simple colors that emphasized the accompanying text.  I love that she chose complementary colors to make Leon "pop" on the page. She even added an illustration and lesson at the end of the book teaching children about "opposite" colors on a color wheel and how to mix them. The illustrations are quite simple, but they do  not need to be complicated because her use of color is stunning! I especially love the way the trees are painted at the end of the book because the brushstrokes have created texture. I also love the purple/yellow colors on the same page because they emphasize the night's darkness and the moonlight reflecting off the chameleons who are returning home safe and sound! 

Here are some examples of the illustrations: 

Classroom connections:

I would use this book in a primary classroom to:
  • Teach children to celebrate each others' differences and the things that make them unique
  • Cross-curricularly as an introduction to art lessons about complementary colors and the color wheel.

Overall, the narrative elements and illustrations of the story go suitably well together. The plot, conflict, irony, and tone complement each other and provide for a great storytelling style, while the illustrations provide heart warming visuals about a young chameleon who realizes it is good to be different!





No comments:

Post a Comment