Monday, January 24, 2011

Journal Entry 2

Falling Up
Poems and Drawings by Shel Silverstein




Falling Up is a book of poems and illustrations written and drawn by the well known and respected author, Shel Silverstein. This week, I really wanted to reflect on some poetry because although I struggle with it, I really enjoy it. I always loved poetry when I was a child but as I got older it began to feel less fun and more confusing. I chose this book to reflect on because I've always loved Shel Silverstein's writing but have never read much of his poetry. (The Giving Tree is one of my all time favorite books!) I always love reading about Shel's silly characters and imaginative worlds he creates through his writing. I have found that his poems have great rhyme and rhythm which anyone at ay age can enjoy. The pages look clean and simple and the writing is filled with irony and puns, creative characters and no lack of humor.


If you have not experienced any of Shel's poems or aren't familiar with his illustrations, below is a video animating "The Toy Eater", one of his poems from Falling Up:





I have always heard that Shel Silverstein is a great children's author and I know my little cousin absolutely loves reading his poems, so I thought that reading some of his work was a good place to start when reflecting on poetry.

After reading Falling Up, I began wondering what makes Shel's poetry so entertaining and unique. I loved it, but I wanted to know what exactly I responded to. After some thought, I think a huge reason I respond to his writing is because of his original style. His writing is often told from a child's perspective and so we see a different way of thinking about things that we would never otherwise consider. Adults sometimes forget how to have fun and how to laugh. Shel helps us remember what it's like to see the world though the eyes of a child. In this way, I believe that Shel's poems are very relatable to children, which makes poetry maningful and appealing for them instead of "boring". For example:

  • "Remote-A-Dad" (pg. 112) is a poem that tells of a remote that works on dads. The remote can make dads raise allowances and stop him from bossing children around.
  • "No Grown-Ups" (pg. 113) is about forming secret clubs and playing games that grown ups are not allowed to join. 
  • Lastly, "Crazy Dream" (pg. 168-9) is about a little boy who dreams that his teachers are now students and he gets to make all the rules and give all the homework.
These poems are the reason I feel connected to Shel Silverstein's writing. Of course I've never had a remote that worked on a parent, but they are all poems that bring back memories. They make you feel nostalgic. I remember my first "no boys club" and wishing so bad that teachers had homework to do instead of us. Isn't it humorous that children think teachers love making them miserable while they sit at home with nothing to do? I love that Shel's writing has the ability to bring back that child within me.   

As adults, we sometimes get so caught up in the world, that we forget how to be creative and to use our imaginations. Shel has an outstanding ability to think outside the box. His poems are so silly and his writing so full of nonsense, hyperboles, the fantastical and impossible that it is no wonder children are drawn to them. For example, "Headless Town" (pg. 121) is a poem about how difficult it is selling hats in headless town, where people obviously have no need for hats because they do not have heads! 

And lastly, another reason why I enjoy Shel's poetry so much is because it isn't JUST silly and fun. Some poems share important messages and lessons that I believe all children should learn. For example:


The above poem teaches children to listen to that voice inside their head that tells them what is right and wrong, what they want, and who they are. I think that individuality is an extremely important concept that every child should take seriously. As future educators/mentors/parents, we have to choose what poems to introduce to children and what messages to send them. There are SO many great choices out there and I believe that Shel has written a lot of them.


Shel also illustrates his own work. His illustrations are done using pen and ink and are all black and white. They are amazingly simple and pleasing to view. They often add humor and exaggerate the silliness of the poems. The pictures not only accompany the words, they usually explain and extend them. Most poems couldn't be effective without them because the text take on a different meaning when you see the illustration that goes along with it. Therefore, the pictures are an integral part of Shel's poems. They give meaning to poems that most people would not/could not understand without them. 

For example: 

Turkey? - by Shel Silverstein

I only ate one drumstick                                  
At the picnic dance this summer,
Just one little drumstick -
They say I couldn't be dumber.
One tough and skinny drumstick,
Why was that such a bummer?
But everybody's mad at me,
Especially the drummer.  


In the classroom:

I believe that using Shel's poetry in the classroom is a great way to introduce children to the topic. Poetry can often be complex and difficult to grasp. Even as an adult I still struggle with it. Children should love poetry from the start and I believe Silverstein's poetry could accomplish this task. Too often poetry is associated with feelings of reluctance and frustration. If we make it interesting and fun from the start, chances are the feelings will continue throughout the years. 

I am not implying that all of Shel's poetry is classroom worthy, but a lot of it is. Teachers should choose select poems to teach during individual lessons and keep his collection in the bookshelves for students' personal pleasure. Although some poems shouldn't be taught directly during class time, many are enjoyable for children so they should have the opportunity to read them on their own if they should so choose.

One final word: Shel Silverstein's website is a great resource for both teachers and students to use. Below are the links for his website and classroom activites that teachers can use to accompany his poems:



   

No comments:

Post a Comment